Wednesday, March 22, 2006

New Thoughts for a new day...

I thought that I as our token progressive (note the avoidance of liberal or leftist...) I should write down some things that I believe. This stems from the fact that B-dizzle Wolfle-dizzle and I talked last weekend and found a good bit of common ground.

I'll do this real slow like so you O'Reilly folks can keep up- maybe one major idea a week.

1. The Federal Budget should be balanced. Period. I'm not saying that every year has to be even, you can run a surplus or a debt, but you can't do a ten year projection that shows that you will be >$10,000,000,000,000 MORE in debt and have that be OK.

I don't believe that tax cuts stimulate the economy and help balance the budget. If they did, we would have just raised the debt ceiling to $9,000,000,000,000. Let me write that number again $9,000,000,000,000. Just Damn.

We are mortgaging our children and their children every day by spending more than we bring in. I think that this is a result of the "Consumer" mindset that we are now trained to have. More stuff = More happy. This is a post for another day, but... I see this in people. I heard over the weekend that the average American has $10,000 in credit card debt. I bet the mode debt is even higher- there are a lot of us who still have $0 in CC debt. This is why we don't care that our govt is doing the same thing. "I can pay this off later (many of us never do) so why can't the govt do the same". They're keeping my money in my pocket. That is true, but their also taking it from you and your kids.

I heard once that $0.18 of every tax dollar goes to pay on our debt. Do you think this is going to get smaller the way we are spending today? If we keep borrowing more, this number will increase- duh. That means that if we expect to keep the same services, we will either have to borrow more or raise taxes. Eventually we won't be able to pay this.

Kirkdiggity will say that the solution is to remove services (or go to the fair tax- get me the book...). The issue is that even with all of the pork in the budget and the "Social" programs, they make up a pretty small portion of the tax burden. We are talking about having to limit the military or highways or medicare to make this plan work. Please keep in mind that madicare is getting bigger and we still don;t cover people right...

We have to raise taxes to fix this. I don;t know how, I'm not a tax lawyer, but that is the only solution to this problem. I will more than happily give back my $300 check from a few years ago if the super wealthy will give up their thousands per year breaks...

In closing......................... These thoughts are conservative thoughts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't spend what you don't have.

Disagree with me. I dare you :-)

3 Comments:

Blogger Special K said...

I guess we found some psuedo-common ground. The Big Imperial Federal Government should not spend more than what they have. Americans have to settle their debts; why doesn't the government? Sure, we can rack up tons of credit card debt, but eventually someone is going to have to pay it, either the individual or as part of an estate inheritance.

The government continuing to do this is scary. What is scarier to me is that we, the people of this country, allow it to happen. Did you write a letter to your senators and representative when they passed legislation raising the debt ceiling? Me neither. We allow them to remove more and more of our individual rights every day.

I am tired of pork - buying votes through legislation. That's why I like the Fair Tax... you can't do that any more, at least through the tax code. The problem with the rich getting all the breaks will go away with the fair tax. There won't be any IRS filings for them to work around the system. YOU go buy the book. I don't have any money left after last month when we did our taxes and the feds said "we accidently keep too much of our money...give it back!!!"

We have a broken system, but I don't see it getting any better. It's going to take balls for an elected official to do the right thing, and none of them have balls right now...except for Hitlary. She has hers and Bills.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Mr. Oubre said...

another blog name change due to blogger

banddirectorguy.blogspot.com

10:02 AM  
Blogger Will said...

Where to start? In my best Doug Moore voice "You are just being stupid Eric." Here is the problem as I see it. There are WAY to many special interest programs. The TVA gets over 200 million a year. I think Tennessee has electricty, and we can move on. That is the problem, and if you raise taxes the government will spend more. You have to cut programs to fix this. I don't like that idea very much, but some things you can't avoid.

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home